When was castle refurbished?
In 1826, major restoration
On 2nd May 1922 occupied by republican forces two days
" By the 1930's the Butlers found that they had to look closely at the viability of maintaining their seat at Kilkenny Castle. In 1935, they decided to leave and a great auction was held in the castle. For five days all the contents of the castle were auctioned off.
In 1967, Arthur Butler, sixth Marquess and twenty-third Earl of Ormonde handed Kilkenny Castle over to the Castle Restoration Committee for the nominal sum of £50.
After treating the fabric of the building for dry rot and wet rot, a phased programme of restoration started. The east wing was re-roofed and opened to the public in 1976. "
What about the destroyed tower? Cromwell