Home page


European English

English, the second language for most Europeans, is slightly different from American.

Many people use the term "British English," but the language does not belong to the British anymore.

("American" here means "of the United States" — with apologies to the whole of the rest of the Americas for this use of the simpler term.)

European vocabulary

Some words are just as different between European and American English as between two separate languages....

Important differences

Most of the differences between American and European English are merely incidental. There are a few that are important....

European spelling

There are a few spelling variations between European and American English — some of it rule-bound, some of it incidental....

Irish English

A variation...

"How typically American that you have the gall to refer to English as 'European English,' and your own bastardised version as 'US English.' It is simply English. The official and correct English of the British Isle is commonly referred to as 'the Queens English.'"

— "English Teacher," from my guestbook.